0 Flares 0 Flares ×
July 4th Pet Safety Tips
With July 4th right around the corner, we wanted to share some important July 4th pet safety tips because more pets go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year!
- Be sure your dog is wearing an up to date and visible ID tag on his or her collar
- Have a current photo of your dog on file in the event he or she becomes lost
- If you are having people over, be sure to exercise your dog BEFORE guests come over for the celebration. This will ensure they will not need to romp around and potentially get lost due to a need for activity and exercise
- Make sure your guests are aware of your dog and ask them to keep an eye out so he or she does not escape
- Keep the charcoal, fireworks, sparklers, glow sticks and other fourth of July celebratory items out of reach of potentially curious dogs
- Put your dog in an escape proof room during the fireworks festivities
- If your dog is afraid of loud noises, leave gentle music playing to cover the fireworks sounds and soothe them
Here are a list of other July 4th Pet Safety tips to keep in mind during your July 4th festivities!
- Never leave alcohol unattended, it can be poisonous to pets if ingested and result in a coma or death.
- Only use PET specific sunscreen and mosquito repellent on your dog
- Do not put glow sticks or glowing jewelry on you dog, if ingested it is highly toxic! Keep out of reach and off your pooches!
- Citronella candles, inset coils and oil products need to be kept out of reach, the too can irritate dogs stomachs and even if your dog inhales them can cause aspiration pneumonia.
Check out more cute pics and other tips on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/ROMPItalianGreyhoundRescue or if your Italian Greyhounds are looking for a Chicago doggy play date – join us! Meet up information at www.meetup.com/ROMPRescue